Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Waters Wednesdays

If you think turning a John Waters film into a musical is crazy, think about what John Waters must have thought. Or just read about it in this terrific New York Times article written from the man himself:


"Imagine how frightened I really was, all alone, at the first table reading (of Hairspray). Total strangers were turning something I thought up 15 years ago in the bedroom of my old apartment into a big splashy musical -- the kind of contemporary entertainment that usually inspires Hallmark greeting cards and my immediate distrust. Relief poured from my brow as I realized that the book by Mark O'Donnell and Thomas Meehan was taking my screenplay by the sprocket holes, giving it a bon-voyage kiss and hurling it onstage like a brand new baby. My jokes were still there and they wanted to sing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment