Monday, November 7, 2011

A belated double feature from Friday

As we missed out on our personal blog from Friday, we thought we'd give you two for the price of one!

So enjoy a little sampling from two of our younger male cast members:

Nickolas Vaughan

A dream come true!! Hairspray was the first show that I got to see on Broadway, and it changed my life. I knew then that Musical Theatre was in my blood! Since then, I have been counting down the days till I could get the chance to be apart of a Hairspray cast. My time is here!

Today in rehearsal we really got a chance to DANCE DANCE DANCE! I get so excited when I hear that music and then everyone starts 'gettin down!' This cast is jammed packed with so much talent, I can't help but sit back and take notes. 

During our lunch break, some of us took to the 2nd floor lobby and worked out a few dance kinks. Kicking and spinning all around, I felt like I was 10 years old again, dancing around the house getting in my parent's way, as they tried to clean up. [Apologies to any staff member disturbed] :-) 

and Parker Drown:

Well Ladies and Gentlemen…it’s my turn. Parker Drown here (a.k.a. Fender) one of the gosh darn Nicest Kids you will ever find in town reporting live from my living room whilst relaxing my leg muscles as we near the end of our second week of rehearsals.

Today the effervescent and swoon worthy Link Larkin (Patrick Cragin, with vocal chords of gold) and his illustrious council boys (that’s me) began the day off with a little taste of du wop heaven. One may look at simple du wop choreography (step touches, slides, hip gyrations, and MANY hand flourishes) and say…pshhhhh that’s easy! But then you are asked to sing “oo’s” and “aah’s” in three part harmony on top of that and it’s quite like rubbing your belly and patting your head, while jumping on alternating legs and reciting the alphabet backwards (you're gonna try that now aren't you??). We then continued with staging/choreography of "Welcome to the 60's", and that only takes us through half of the day.

Now, seeing as I am white like a fine china and not a member of the league of extraordinary women, I was released from rehearsal early today. What does this mean folks? It means that Motormouth Maybelle’s Gang got to take a cardio ride from hell and dance to the Camp duo’s amazing and non –stop choreography for “Run and Tell That”, which I cannot wait to see tomorrow. This was then followed by all of the women in the ensemble (yes, that includes you Mr. Robert Aubry Davis) joining together to stage the opening number of ACT II. I’d give you details, but I wouldn’t want to spoil the fun.

With that said, I shall conclude with the following...
Being a Maryland/DC native my whole life and a local DC actor for the past 4 or 5 years, I don’t think I could have asked for a better Signature Theatre debut! The show is a blast, and the cast is phenomenal and a joy to get to know. It is filled with many friends who I have worked with before and so many wonderful new faces (many of whom I have seen perform around town and admire so greatly). The work is non-stop, but well worth the sore muscles and all-in-all things are shaping up here in Baltimore!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment