Thursday, January 12, 2012

Learning about LaRue

If you’ve seen Hairspray, you may have noticed there are lights everywhere. They’re above the stage, around the stage, IN the stage. But who’s actually responsible for constructing all of those? Our master electrician, Sarah LaRue, is a technician extraordinaire and quite the wiz when it comes to all things technical. She took a few minutes to tell the Hairline about her work on Hairspray:


Some of the production team working on LaRue's "Practicals"
1) We got a small taste of what you do a few weeks back but can you tell us more specifically about your involvement with Hairspray?

Hairspray was especially interesting because the scenic designer created a lot of practicals for the set.  A practical in theatrical lighting is something that lights up that is not necessarily a standard theatrical lighting fixture such as a sconce, chandelier, or sign. In my 5 years here at Signature Theatre, Hairspray holds the record for number of practicals, including 5 signs, 12 windows, 3 sconces, 4 billboard lights, 2 bare bulbs, 2 lightboxes, 1 fan, and the Corny Collins header which consists of 42 diamonds with a light bulb in the center of each wired in a 3 circuit chase. Fortunately, practicals are my favorite part of the job so clearly I got to have a lot of fun with this one.

2) As Signature’s resident Master Electrician, what does your job entail once a show has opened?

Once a show has opened, the day to day running of the show gets handed over to my assistants Katrina Maurer and Erin Jones and I get freed up to begin the planning process of the next production.  Occasionally, a piece of equipment will break and I’ll need to fix it.

3) What has been your favorite project for Hairspray?

My favorite project for Hairspray was surprisingly something fairly simple.  It was when I installed some ropelight into a box fax (below)  With every show there is always some little project where you stop and think…  boy, my job is weird… I’m installing ropelight in a fan…  who does this?  This is what I come to work and get paid to do everyday and I LOVE it!

Sarah working on her favorite project

4) How did you end up at Signature? What have been some of the highlights?


The story of how I ended up at Signature is a classic one of being involved in the DC theatre community.  I had been happily freelancing around town when I received a call from a friend at Barbizon, a theatrical sales and service company in Alexandria.  She mentioned that Chris Akins, whom she previously worked for at Williamstown was now the Production Manager at Signature, they were opening a new theatre and looking for a Master Electrician, and I should apply.  I wasn’t necessarily looking for full time job, but I figured I’ll go to the interview and see what it’s all about.  5 years later, I’m still here!

5) What is your next project at Signature?

I’m currently prepping for our next two shows Really, Really and Brother Russia.  Brother Russia is going to have a ceiling of festoon lights which will consist of hundreds light bulbs in numerous different shapes, sizes, and colors.





No comments:

Post a Comment