Friday, January 20, 2012

Hairspray Follies - Part 2

On Monday, the cast told us all about the collection of foibles that have plagued them through the run of Hairspray. But mishaps can extend well beyond our productions at Signature... 

(If you haven't seen this video from The Miracle Worker, it's worth a gander)


The cast shared their some of their own sagas:

“I was in a production of Grease and at the end of the play Sandy is supposed to hit (punch) Patty for being such a snot. Well... the air was just right that night. "Im going to have a black eye..." and sure enough I really got punched in the eye by Sandy and yup, a real black eye was there. No running off stage for this girl though, I continued with the scene and right through curtain call with a swollen eye.  No hard feelings either, I got a nice present the next day for being such a trooper!” – Jamie Eacker (Tammy)

“Let's see ... aside from forgotten lines and tornadoes and earthquakes? hmmm ... in college I had to change clothes onstage and had neglected to wear underwear. Ah, the 70's ...” – Harry Winter (Wilbur Turnblad)

“The worst onstage mishap that I've been involved in EVER, was the final night of A Chorus Line in college, when my parents came to see me. I was really excited, and decided to go for a triple pirouette instead of the single that I had been doing the entire run of the show. Just my luck, I fell completely out of the turns. Though, I didn't fall just out of my turn, but I fell nearly off the stage and onto my face! But, on the bright side I happen to land on the ground just a beat before the lyric "God I really blew it, I really blew it." Me snapping back up and singing those lyrics saved that entire catastrophic moment, and my parents just thought it was all a part of the show.” – Nikolas Vaughan (Gilbert)

“When I was on tour with Grease, the guy playing Roger missed his entrance, and the three of us on stage had to make up a scene for a good 2 minutes. That was the longest two minutes of my life...” – Patrick Cragin (Link Larkin)

“I fell into the orchestra pit when I was 10…” – Kirsten Riegler (Brenda)

“I definitely fell off the stage in Assassins at Signature when we were in the garage space.  It was closing night and the opening number and I was trying to be all cool and Squeaky-like.  I went to get my gun from the Balladeer and slipped on my hippie skirt and fell off the stage.  It was such a shock to the Balladeer that he actually stopped singing.  I think what adds insult to injury is that day's earlier matinee, I had suffered a wardrobe malfunction onstage.  I was definitely ready to close after that day!” – Erin Gardiner (Amber Von Tussle)

No comments:

Post a Comment