Monday, January 16, 2012

Hairspray Follies - Part 1

One of the greatest thrills of going to the theatre is the possibility that at any given moment, something might go wrong. Why else would people continue to flock to see Spiderman the Musical? Heck, it’s why people see any theatre. You go to the movies for the consistency but you go to the theatre for the unexpected. Alas, with the unexpected can come utter and total disaster.

Spiderman the Musical!

After some minor prodding, the Hairspray cast revealed some onstage mishaps from the run so far:

“I would say that the most embarrassing moment was when I realized that I had danced my tail off in the entire 'Run and Tell That' number with my blouse COMPLETELY open and my bubbies in people's faces, lol. That gave a whole new meaning to 'opening night of previews'” – Carolyn Cole (Tracy Turnblad)

“The night where I blanked on a portion of the Madison. It was a moment when everyone is facing upstage, and since I'm in the back, I couldn't see anyone. So I completely started doing a "freestyle groove" for about 12 counts. It felt more embarrassing than I'm sure it looked to the audience, but I guess that's the only big mishap I've had. ‘Knock on wood!’” – Nickolas Vaughan (Gilbert)

“I have a moment during ‘Run and Tell That’ with Stephen (Scott Wormley) where we're definitely flirty, and I've decided that my character thinks he has gone too far and jokingly slaps him.... sometimes I get too excited and that slap is a little less joke and a little more boxing champ. The lovely Stephen handles it like a star and is always forgiving, but it's definitely a ‘woopsies’ moment for me.” - Ashleigh King (Dynamite/Cindy)

“About three weeks into performance, I got to the famous line where momma is upset because Link has just walked out on Tracy, and the line is ‘It's just Eddie Fisher all over again...’

And the name simply escaped my mind. I began sputtering: "It's just...."- "It's just..." – "It's just..."

Fortunately, Harry Winter, being the pro that he is, jumped in: "I bet you're thinking about that damn Eddie Fisher!"

I now, among the other albums from 1962 scattered everywhere, have mounted high above the mirror, looking down on me, the album: Eddie Fisher--Thinking of You

And I think of him before I go out on every show...” – Robert Aubry Davis (Edna Turnblad)

No comments:

Post a Comment