Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Breaking it down with Brianne Camp

If the name Camp sounds familiar, that’s probably because Karma Camp has been a Signature regular since 2007, devising dances for Signature favorites like Witches of Eastwick and Showboat. With the high energy choreography needed for Hairspray, she brought on her ever charming daughter to join the creative team. A recent graduate of East Carolina University, Brianne graced the Hairline with a few minutes of her time to tell us all about the process.

Brianne Camp
1)       Ok, so, you’re the Associate Choreographer. How’d you get that gig?

Actually I was promoted by Eric and Karma to Co-Choreographer! I worked with Eric and my mom on Overtures for the past seven years and they have watched me grow and thought this may be a good opportunity for me. My mother also saw my work at Interlochen Arts Academy and thought I should try my hand here in Washington

2)       What does exactly does the Co-Choreographer’s job entail?


My position entails being responsible for creative content and demonstrating our ideas to the cast. I also clean all our numbers, which I love to do!


3)       What was it like working with your mother? Is this the first time you have worked on a show together in this capacity?

Yes, this is the first time we have worked as equals. I am also currently her legs as she is patiently waiting to have knee surgery! Mom and I have similar teaching methods so we work very well together. I guess you could say I learned from the best!


4)       Do you see yourself more as a dancer or a choreographer?

Always a tough question! I love both. I am way too young to stop performing but my passion for teaching will always be there.

5)       What’s your favorite part of the show to watch? Any reason in particular?

That's tough too! I love every minute of the show because you can see how much fun the cast is having! If I had to choose I would have to say “Run and Tell That”.  That number has the most influence from my style of dancing and watching people interpret your own style is fascinating and fun to watch.


6)       Do you have any other projects coming up in the near future?

Yes, I go to Toronto soon to associate choreograph Aladdin on the new Disney ship debuting in March! I am paying my dues now and look forward to one day leaving my stamp on the Washington D.C. area!  


No comments:

Post a Comment