Monday, December 19, 2011

What goes into a Hairspray star?

Some cast members from Hairspray gave us the lowdown on their pre and post show rituals. Do you have any strange rituals prior to your job?


Here's what they told us when we asked what theirs were:


"I listen to Aretha before every show :-)" - Carolyn Cole


"I always warm up in the bathroom and then practice a dance move with my partner, Parker!" - Kirstin Riegler


"Well, this older lady has to keep up with all the younger Nicest Kids, so I have to spend at least 15 minutes before each show stretching.  Then, right before our first big dance number, I do jumping jacks backstage to get my heart rate up to the beat of "Good Morning, Baltimore."  The assistant stage manager is so used to it by now that she mimics me.  Also, I go through the dance and lyrics of "Cooties" every night right before I go on to perform it.  :)  I know it by now but I am afraid if I don't go over it, it will jinx me." - Erin Gardiner


"The only thing I do is go through my lines for the first scene every night." - Stephen Gregory Smith

"I like to be in a half hour before call time and be ready ten minutes before places so that I can read or crotchet and take time to prepare.  After the show I need at least ten minutes to sit in silence to re-center myself." - Kara-Tameika Watkins

Carolyn Cole and the cast of Hairspray

No comments:

Post a Comment