Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Kathryn Fuller: A Different Kind Of Edna

In order to accommodate for Robert Aubry's incredibly busy schedule at WETA, we've had to let him out of our sight for a couple of performances. But the show must go on! Luckily we have the fantastic Kathryn Fuller filling in for him while he's gone. Before her upcoming performances, we pulled her aside from all of her preparations to answer a couple of questions:


1) So you may be the first female actor to ever play Edna Turnblad. Feel any pressure?


I find it really hard to believe that in all the productions of Hairspray that have taken place, that no other female actor has played Edna. That being said, if I'm the first, I'm honored! As far as feeling pressured is concerned, I can only say that Edna is one of those great roles that any actor - male or female - would kill to play and want to do right by. I just love her! Does part of me wish I was a guy and could add the drag element? Sure. But, well, you know, I'm a woman, so I've gotta go with what I've got.

2) Have you understudied before?

Yep. And, I've understudied here at Signature for My Fair Lady, Assassins, Nevermore, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and The Christmas Carol Rag. I went on for the roles I was covering in My Fair Lady and The Christmas Carol Rag.

3) What was your preparation and rehearsal process like for this production?

 I sat and watched a large number of rehearsals in early November and have been at the theater through most of tech and all of the preview performances. But just sitting and watching isn't enough to learn a role. The plain truth about understudying is that it's a whole lot of work at home on your own. Learning the lines, practicing the dances, going over the songs. I'm such a big nerd about how I work, that I even have an Edna ironing board and basket of clothes set up in my bedroom and have moved the furniture around to approximate the stage.

4) Was Robert Aubry able to offer any sage advice prior to your first performance?

Robert Aubry Davis is a lovely man and he has been incredibly kind, informative, and patient with all of my questions! And yes, before I went on, he was very helpful in preparing me for Edna's time in the "Fortress of Solitude." (Come see the show and you'll understand!)

5) What was it like entering into a production that had already been running for a few weeks? Was the cast supportive?

Coming in to the show was like coming home to best friends and family, and I couldn't have felt more welcome. They are the most remarkably talented group of people you could ever imagine working with - cast, crew, Signature staff - and they are all delightfully friendly, encouraging, and supportive.

6)   Some Name Association; we give you a name, you give us an adjective:

For each one of these folks, I could come up with a slew of gushing superlatives. I will, however, take a stab at it:

a) Carolyn Cole: phenomenal
b) Harry Winter: giving
c) Kerry Epstein: exacting (and I mean this in the very best way)
d) Matt Conner: exuberant
e) Karma Camp: brilliant

Come see Kathryn Fuller this weekend in Hairspray!

No comments:

Post a Comment